lost time

So. Let me collect myself. Isn’t it funny how one event can totally wipe out everything that happened? This week was like that. We did get a bit done on the cabin this weekend but were held up short by running out of wood. We were looking that we would have just a few more days of work and we would be moving upstairs!! We did move the girls upstairs and hung up closet rods. They hung up their clothes. It was great. We were moving forward!!! Yea!!! Jack did get called into the hospital like 5 times over the weekend. That also slowed us down, but we were trying to not let it get to us. He went in early Monday so he could get home early and we could work more. However, that did not happen. He got home late. Kind of sucked, but then, hey it just meant that he wouldn’t have to go in as much this week. We however did not get to move our animals. There was always the next day. There was always the next day.

Sometimes things don’t go that way though. Jack had enough light to go check on the pigs. So off he went into the dusk, feed sack over his shoulder. It had been raining off and on for awhile. The ground was slick as well there are a lot of words you can use here I will let you fill in the blank šŸ™‚ If you remember Jack seems to have issues with wet clay, that was how he opened his finger up. He went in with the big pigs, fed them and as he was going to get out he slipped. He heard a snap. He was in a pile of mud, with two HUGE pigs with a broken ankle. There was no one near him. He called out and thankfully Natalie was near enough to hear him. He got her to go get me. I had to go get the keys to the truck from him and pull the truck over to the pig area. He slowly made it over and hobbled into the truck. It wasn’t fun. I know I haven’t mentioned this, but I have issues with bones. Like, I don’t like to think about people having them and if they do have them I would rather not think about them breaking inside of them. It is one of those things I have a very hard time dealing with. So has Jack was moaning and in pain and talking about it grinding I was desparetely trying not to vomit. Every bump in the road on the way to the ER caused him to moan and me to almost vomit. It was great. He said that he could feel himself start to go into shock while he was making it to the truck. He was making enough noise that I wasn’t too worried. I also have to mention here that my girls are awesome. As I was running back to get the truck I yelled at them and they quickly finished taking care of the animals and got ready to leave. They were in the truck in no time when I came back to pick them up. Anyway, about halfway to the ER Jack stopped moaning. That was when I started to worry. He said that he was finally not feeling the pain as much, but damn I was really worried for a little while there. We got to the ER though, Jack had called them ahead of time and told them he was coming and why. So they met us out there with a wheelchair. I parked and went in. They have changed a little bit since the last time we were there. They came out and asked if we wanted to go back with him. We needed to wait just a little bit while they got him settled. That was when I noticed that Natalie wasn’t doing so hot. She was freaked out, over many things, money over yet another ER trip, how we would be able to finish the cabin, how we would be able to move the animals, lots of things. I told her that we would just have to figure it out. We could ask people for help. We would make it. We had to. We ended up going back with Jack after that. Natalie still very unsure. We found that it was actually broken. He broke the bone in two places in a spiral. So special. They splinted him up and we went home. In all, it was a better trip. Oh sigh though. I had a hard time sleeping that night as I was up thinking about the same things Natalie had been thinking about.

I have to say that we have been slightly lucky though. People have really been great about offering support. Joan and Grant came over last night and helped us move the animals. Penn stopped by and helped us out also. I haven’t had to tie Jack up yet, he for the most part has been alright with sitting or laying down all day. I explained to him that the faster he can heal the better. That I was not looking forward to being the only physically capable adult again for six weeks. He did come out and verbally help us move animals. Though he did end up physically helping more than I would like.

One thing I have noticed, I have a whole lot less time to write this. I did start this Wednesday morning like a good little blogger and here I am Friday morning trying to finish it. So I am going to try and be quick and do this. We are starting to dry Astrid off. We did not see her go through another heat cycle, so good chance she is pregnant. Also, with our issues with her and milk, she wasn’t milked for months and we still producing and lots, we wanted to start now. I am seriously wondering though if she will always have a bag. We haven’t seen Luna go through another heat either. Is she pregnant? Who knows. I want to buy some pregnancy tests, they aren’t that expensive but Jack says if they pop out a kid they will. I don’t think that way though. Luna, if she doesn’t pop out a kid this month will already show that she has hormonal problems and if she does, well, I am not sure if we should keep her. So yeah, we will just have to wait and see though. We did take the two big pigs in yesterday. I am pretty happy so far with this meat market. They will save the hide for us, the boar’s head(he has tusks), my lard, well they were just very nice to work with. The crazy cheviots were put in with the stock, they seem to be adjusting well. So we just need to tame the other cow and get it in with stock and we won’t have any more animals that far away, well at least until we get better fence. We need better fence.

Today is also looking like it will be a busy crazy day. We didn’t get school done yesterday because of dropping off the pigs. So we have two days of school, we need to get things set up to do the insulation under the cabin. We are changing what we are using so I can do it easier. I need to get it done tomorrow though because we are due rain, and maybe a bit of it, on Sunday. Oh fun. So this is my sloppy probably not that great blog post. We are alive, mostly whole, some of us are a little older, some a little crazier, but still thankful to be where we are.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s